macports stages - how to stop server processes?

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Tue Oct 21 01:07:03 PDT 2008

On Oct 21, 2008, at 12:36 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> One often has the need to load and unload services at times other
> than activating and deactivating a port. For example, ports are not
> loaded when they are initially installed, because some initial setup
> might need to be done manually by the user first. Then the user will
> want to load the port. Or if the user just wants to restart a
> service, they will unload and then load it again.

Hmmm.  OK, I can sort of buy that, but if the intention was to expose
the de-facto standard service / apachectl / launchctl / pcastctl
semantics in some port-generic way, then why wasn't this done as
start, stop and restart (as an alias for stop/start)?  That would
certainly make more sense to me.

- Jordan