Postfix's main.cf

Charles Darwin macports.users at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 17:07:13 PDT 2008

On 26-Oct-08, at 4:27 PM, Bryan Blackburn wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 11:10:53AM -0400, Charles Darwin said:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have two main.cf here:
>>
>> $ ls /Volumes/neo/opt/etc/postfix/main*
>> /Volumes/neo/opt/etc/postfix/main.cf.default	/Volumes/neo/opt/etc/
>> postfix/main.cf.sample
>>
>> I am guessing that I should go with the default one if want to make
>> any
>> changes (is that correct?) and then do I rename the file to main.cf
>> when I
>> am done?
>
> The post-install instructions say to copy the *.sample files and
> edit those
> as needed.
>
>> The more important question I have is, is macports version of postfix
>> ready out of the box?
>
> Ready for what?  Without knowing one's network configuration, it's
> near
> impossible to know how to set up an MTA, what with all of the various
> configuration possibilities, and the need to avoid opening up a
> relay...
>
> Bryan

I would like to do 2 things:
1. send emails over the Internet either using my ISP's smtp server or
gmail's smtp
2. send messages to other machines on my network in a p2p fashion. My
question I guess is would that require to host a mail server on at
least one of the machines involved? If so then is postfix already
setup for that?

Charles