Postfix's main.cf

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Sun Oct 26 13:27:23 PDT 2008

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 11:10:53AM -0400, Charles Darwin said:
> Hi all,
>
> I have two main.cf here:
>
> $ ls /Volumes/neo/opt/etc/postfix/main*
> /Volumes/neo/opt/etc/postfix/main.cf.default	/Volumes/neo/opt/etc/
> postfix/main.cf.sample
>
> I am guessing that I should go with the default one if want to make any
> changes (is that correct?) and then do I rename the file to main.cf when I
> am done?

The post-install instructions say to copy the *.sample files and edit those
as needed.

> The more important question I have is, is macports version of postfix
> ready out of the box?

Ready for what?  Without knowing one's network configuration, it's near
impossible to know how to set up an MTA, what with all of the various
configuration possibilities, and the need to avoid opening up a relay...

Bryan