transcode 1.1.0 beta1 portfile with quicktime and lzo

David Liontooth liontooth at cogweb.net
Tue Sep 2 13:54:18 PDT 2008

Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> Thanks for the update, David. I put your new Portfile into the
> repository in r39706.
>
> http://trac.macports.org/changeset/39706
Thanks

> Yes, you should submit Portfile changes attached to tickets in the
> issue tracker in the future. Pasting submissions into an email is not
> optimal as email transport can sometimes add whitespace or rewrap
> lines, plus emails can easily get forgotten. At least in the issue
> tracker, they can be searched for and found.
I used an attachment, but sure.

> It's also best to submit changes as unified diffs, not as full
> Portfiles. That way it's easier for both you and the committer to see
> what you're changing. In the case of this port, you inadvertently
> removed a crucial closing curly bracket in the imagemagick variant. I
> fixed this before committing.
Thanks! What's the diff command you use?

> I also dropped the "revision 1" line, since the initial revision of
> any given version of a port should be 0, not 1, and 0 is the default.
Sorry, I should have caught this.

> You added pkgconfig as a library dependency (as was given in ticket
> #15547), but pkgconfig does not provide any libraries; it's only a
> program used at build time to find dependencies. Thus pkgconfig is
> properly a build dependency, not a library dependency.
OK

> I cannot explain the difficulty of the developer of transcode in
> fixing the software to link with ImageMagick since the name change of
> its core library. transcode's configure script does not need code to
> test for both the old name and the new name; all it needs to do is to
> use pkgconfig or Magick-config to discover the library's correct name,
> as I explained earlier:
>
> http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2008-August/011149.html

I've passed this on.

> May I also enable the port's parallel build, as requested earlier?
>
> http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2008-August/011141.html

I did respond to this. I haven't tested it yet -- transcode builds fast
anyway -- but sure, let's do it.

Transcode builds and works great on both Intel and PPC under Leopard. I
have an OSX Tiger Server where transcode again has started to fail to
exit -- it completes the job, but then just sits there. Chuck Remes
fixed this behavior way back; it used to happen all the time.

Quicktime integration also works great; I'm using it to rip frames from
mp4 files created on Linux and OSX; the files stream on Adobe's flash
server.

I very much appreciate all your good work keeping this and other ports
up and running.

Cheers,
David