rebuild world

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Sep 9 21:33:31 PDT 2008

On Sep 9, 2008, at 5:07 PM, Troy Daley wrote:

> Is there a sanity check or a way to rebuild world in macports?

Do you mean a separate sanity check command? There isn't any. What
would such a command do?

And what do you mean by "rebuild world"? If you mean rebuild all
installed ports, then no, there's no build-in command to do that. You
would have to manually rebuild each installed port, preferably in
dependency order which could be hard to figure out. Or you could
write down which ports (and their variants) are installed, then
uninstall all ports and reinstall all your ports. Either way it will
take some time. And there are less drastic ways to fix most problems,
so it would help to know what problem you're experiencing.

> I've been removing some inactive ports and noticed that my
> subversion HL bindings quit working.

You mean the subversion-javahlbindings port? According to "port deps"
it has these dependencies:

$ port deps subversion-javahlbindings
subversion-javahlbindings has library dependencies on:
         expat
         neon
         apr
         apr-util
         db46
         subversion
         junit
         gettext
         libiconv
         serf
         cyrus-sasl2

Are all these installed and active?

> I'm wondering if I messed something up by force removing inactive
> projects.

If you have inactive ports, they're not used for anything so removing
them is safe. Unless they were in use and you deactivated them
without installing a newer version for example.

If you tell us what specific issues you are experiencing maybe we can
help resolve them.