t1lib: unable to infer tagged configuration (was: Re: xpdf install failed)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Sep 11 15:51:29 PDT 2008

On Sep 11, 2008, at 09:37, Joerg van den Hoff wrote:

> an attempt to install `xpdf' under 10.4.11. failed with
>
> ==============================CUT=====================================
> --->  Building t1lib with target without_doc

[snip]

Ok, so the failing port is t1lib, not xpdf.

> /opt/local/bin/glibtool --mode=compile \
> /usr/bin/gcc-4.0 -c  -O2 -DT1LIB_IDENT="\"5.1.2\"" -
> DGLOBAL_CONFIG_DIR="\"/opt/local/share/t1lib\"" -
> DT1LIB_NO_X11_SUPPORT  -DT1_AA_TYPE16=short -DT1_AA_TYPE32=int
> arith.c
> glibtool: compile: unable to infer tagged configuration
> glibtool: compile: specify a tag with `--tag'
> make[2]: *** [arith.lo] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [type1_target] Error 1
> make: *** [XXXX] Error 1
> ==============================CUT=====================================
>
> what's making `port' unhappy?

port is not unhappy; glibtool is.

> what does " glibtool: compile: unable to infer tagged
> configuration" mean?

That's like these bugs:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/14308

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/13653

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/13648

Are your ports up to date? Do:

sudo port selfupdate
port outdated

Any ports show up as outdated? If so, upgrade them.

sudo port upgrade foo

In particular, this problem showed up a lot when libtool was built
*before* MacPorts started using /usr/bin/gcc-4.0 as CC (instead of
just "gcc" or "cc"), and you attempted to build certain ports *after*
updating MacPorts. However, this change was a long time ago so I'm
surprised you're still running into it. Try the above and let us know
what happens. If rebuilding libtool doesn't fix it, the problem may
be specific to t1lib.

However, t1lib builds fine for me (on Intel, 10.4.11, Xcode 2.5,
MacPorts 1.6.0 or from trunk). So if you still have the issue, please
tell us what versions of Mac OS X, Xcode and MacPorts you have and on
what kind of Mac.