t1lib: unable to infer tagged configuration (was: Re: xpdf install failed)

Joerg van den Hoff j.van_den_hoff at fzd.de
Fri Sep 12 03:10:04 PDT 2008

On Sep 11 2008 (Thu, 17:51), Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Sep 11, 2008, at 09:37, Joerg van den Hoff wrote:
>
>> an attempt to install `xpdf' under 10.4.11. failed with
>>
>> ==============================CUT=====================================
>> --->  Building t1lib with target without_doc
>
> [snip]
>
> Ok, so the failing port is t1lib, not xpdf.
>

>> /opt/local/bin/glibtool --mode=compile \
>> /usr/bin/gcc-4.0 -c  -O2 -DT1LIB_IDENT="\"5.1.2\"" -
>> DGLOBAL_CONFIG_DIR="\"/opt/local/share/t1lib\"" -DT1LIB_NO_X11_SUPPORT
>> -DT1_AA_TYPE16=short -DT1_AA_TYPE32=int  arith.c
>> glibtool: compile: unable to infer tagged configuration
>> glibtool: compile: specify a tag with `--tag'
>> make[2]: *** [arith.lo] Error 1
>> make[1]: *** [type1_target] Error 1
>> make: *** [XXXX] Error 1
>> ==============================CUT=====================================
>>
>> what's making `port' unhappy?
>
> port is not unhappy; glibtool is.
>

>> what does " glibtool: compile: unable to infer tagged configuration"
>> mean?
>
> That's like these bugs:
>
> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/14308
>
> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/13653
>
> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/13648
>
> Are your ports up to date? Do:
>
> sudo port selfupdate
> port outdated
>
> Any ports show up as outdated? If so, upgrade them.
>
> sudo port upgrade foo
>
> In particular, this problem showed up a lot when libtool was built
> *before* MacPorts started using /usr/bin/gcc-4.0 as CC (instead of just
> "gcc" or "cc"), and you attempted to build certain ports *after*
> updating MacPorts. However, this change was a long time ago so I'm
> surprised you're still running into it. Try the above and let us know

I try to keep port itself and "important" packages (or those which are
developing rapidly) up to date, but are otherwise content if 'outdated'
packages are running just fine. I rely on ports to detect things which
must be updated due to dependencies. so I naively would have thought
that if, e.g. xpdf depdends on libtool and that one is to old, it should
have been updated first automatically? where's my error here?

> what happens. If rebuilding libtool doesn't fix it, the problem may be
> specific to t1lib.

bingo! it was the libtool problem. otherwise, I was running a current
port.

running

sudo port upgrade libtool
sudo port clean --work xpdf
sudo port install xpdf

was starting where the last attempt aborted and processed
t1lib without any problem. xpdf finally installed just fine.

your competent help is very much appreciated.

all the best,

joerg