Installing without root privileges: what about /Applications/MacPorts?

Bryan Blackburn 0x62_0x6c_0x62 at pobox.com
Tue Sep 16 12:53:09 PDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 03:39:08PM +0100, Michael Williams said:

[...]
> Forgive my ignorance, but if I installed from 1.6 source and then ran
> "port -v selfupdate" am I still running from 1.6 or am I on trunk?

selfupdate will keep you on the official release which is 1.6.0 still; it
will not switch you over to a trunk-based build.  The only way to run off of
trunk is to checkout the source and build it [1].

> How does the --with-applications-dir ./configure option that Ryan
> mentions interest with this macports.conf option? Do I need both?

The configure option will set what gets put into macports.conf (unless you
already have a macports.conf, then it will not be overwritten).  With a
fresh install, either method works but if you forget to give configure that
option, you can simply update macports.conf and the end result is the same.

Bryan

[1] - <http://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/RunningTrunk>