gtk1 & X libraries

Peter O'Gorman peter at pogma.com
Sun Sep 21 12:29:38 PDT 2008

Charles Darwin wrote:
> I just installed X11-2.3.1_rc6.pkg and now I get this:
>
> $ sudo port -dcs install gtk1
>> configure: error:
> *** X libraries or include files not found. Check 'config.log' for
> *** more details.
>
> Is this a known issue? is there any fix for it?

I assume that you installed X11-2.3.1_rc6 without having first installed
Leopard's X11?

If that is the case, then the problem is that xmkmf was removed from the
xquartz.macosforge.org packages (and will not be included in any Mac OS
X 10.6 packages), this, combined with a bug in autoconf prior to
autoconf-2.62, means that older packages are unable to determine the
location of X at configure time.

File a macports ticket on this, the package maintainer can add
--x-includes and --x-libraries configure arguments to give these
packages of the correct location of X11, or add dylib to the list of
extensions that configure searches for when looking for X11.

If you want a workaround, installing X11 packages from your Leopard
install disk, then reinstalling the latest package from
xquartz.macosforge.org, should work.

Peter
--
Peter O'Gorman