I get the error "C compiler cannot create executables" when I try to install a port...

Bryan Blackburn 0x62_0x6c_0x62 at pobox.com
Sun Sep 21 13:11:16 PDT 2008

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 02:34:00PM +0200, Otto Roberson Bertsch said:
> I get the error "C compiler cannot create executables" when I try to install
> a port
> I had installed first XCode from the Apple "311_2517_developerdvd.dmg". I
> thought maybe that was the problem since the FAQ states "you need XCode 3.0"
> - so I installed that from the DVD. I still have the problem and XCode seems
> to be installed.

That DMG has Xcode 3.1.1 which should be just fine (works for me at any
rate).  The doc should read 'Xcode 3.0 or later for 10.5'...

Usually that error message does indicate either no Xcode installed or the
wrong one (eg, upgrading to 10.5 but not also upgrading Xcode).  It could
also indicate that not all of Xcode was installed, so did you just accept
the defaults or did you disable anything when installing it?

Finally, which port, just in case it turns out to be a port-specific issue,
or did you try several?

Bryan

[...]