I get the error "C compiler cannot create executables" when I try to install a port...

Otto Roberson Bertsch otto.roberson at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 05:34:00 PDT 2008

I get the error "C compiler cannot create executables" when I try to install
a port
I had installed first XCode from the Apple "311_2517_developerdvd.dmg". I
thought maybe that was the problem since the FAQ states "you need XCode 3.0"
- so I installed that from the DVD. I still have the problem and XCode seems
to be installed.

Information:
$ sw_vers
ProductName:    Mac OS X
ProductVersion:    10.5.5
BuildVersion:    9F33

$ uname -a
Darwin macbook-pro.local 9.5.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.5.0:
root:xnu-1228.7.58~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

Xcode:

  Version:    3.0
  Last Modified:    9/21/08 2:12 PM
  Kind:    Universal
  Get Info String:    Xcode version 3.0
  Location:    /Developer/Applications/Xcode.app

 gcc
i686-apple-darwin9-gcc-4.0.1

Thanks for any assistance.