Firefox-x11 did not upgrade

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Apr 3 17:53:42 PDT 2009

On Apr 2, 2009, at 18:21, Frank J. R. Hanstick wrote:

> On Apr 2, 2009, at 1:57 PM, Bryan Blackburn wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 02:14:37AM -0700, Frank J. R. Hanstick said:
>>
>>> 	Upgrading Firefox-x11 resulted in the following error:
>> [...]
>>> In file included from nsNSSCleaner.h:127,
>>>                  from nsNSSCleaner.cpp:38:
>>> ../../../../dist/include/system_wrappers/certt.h:3:24: error:
>>> certt.h: No
>>> such file or directory
>>
>> That should be with the nss port, do you have that installed and
>> at version
>> 3.12?  The current firefox-x11 (3.0.8_2) lists it as a dependency,
>> so it
>> should have been installed...
>
> 	Being dependent on nss-3,12 explains why it is not installing
> because nss-3.12 fails to install (ticket 18930) leaving me with
> nss-3.11.9_0.  Shouldn't a failure to install nss-3.12 cause the
> Firefox-x11 to abort during configuration rather than build?

You can bring that up with the developers of firefox if you like.
Sounds like their configure script isn't properly detecting the
required version of nss.

> 	This leads into another issue, namely that of repeated attempts on
> failed installations.  The repeated attempts are from  each
> instance of detecting a dependency at a new module.  As a result, a
> lot of time is wasted in repeating failed installation attempts.
> Can't there be some sort of unsuccessful history link list be made
> available for upgrade installed so that repeated attempts are not
> made?

That could probably be done. I myself do not have the expertise to do
this. Feel free to file a ticket and/or supply the code to do this.

Note that it's not that much time that's wasted: the build attempt is
not cleared between attempts, so while it takes some time to get to
the failure the first time it's tried, subsequent attempts should
fail fairly quickly at the same point.