installed second MacPorts copy, now can't see installed ports

Allen McBride allencmcbride at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 21:33:32 PDT 2009

On Apr 4, 2009, at 12:12 AM, Joshua Root wrote:

> Sure, you can actually put it anywhere you like. The reason why these
> files live in /Library/Tcl in the first place, rather than somewhere
> under $prefix, is so that you can fire up /usr/bin/tclsh and 'package
> require macports' will work.

Thanks again, this is helpful.

>> Also, I noticed just before re-installing that my bash prompt,
>> which had
>> always been begun with "Macintosh:" now begins with "Macintosh-2:".
>> Does this have something to do with MP's changes to /Library/Tcl?
>> (Before today, I had always installed MP with the binary packages.)
>
> Tcl shouldn't affect your shell at all. Could be a Bonjour thing?

Maybe, but I dunno... the timing and uniqueness of it make me suspect
it has something to do with installing MP from source... but I'm not
going to worry about it.  Googling "Macintosh-2" doesn't reveal any
discussion of the subject, but it does show that other people have the
same thing in their prompt, and they don't seem worried. :-)

--Allen