What is MacPorts doing?

Frank J. R. Hanstick trog24 at comcast.net
Mon Apr 6 12:22:38 PDT 2009

Hello,
	Three ports depended on render, namely:  xorg-renderproto, cairo,
and xrender.  I did a "sudo port -nf" for each.  I then followed with
a "sudo port selfupdate" and got the following error:

Error: Synchronization of the local ports tree failed doing rsync
Error: /opt/local/bin/port: port selfupdate failed: Couldn't sync the
ports tree: Synchronization of 1 source(s) failed

I then ran "sudo port -d selfupdate" which resulted in no error.  I
suspect MacPorts had a hard time with the sync of render after the
delinking.  I do not know yet if the executed procedure remove the
error.  I am running "sudo port upgrade installed" now to verify if
the error disappeared.  This will also see if the resync addressed
the textlive issue.  The fix may not have been put in between the
last sync and the current one.  I run the selfupdate before each
upgrade run to ensure the latest for upgrading.

On Apr 6, 2009, at 2:42 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Apr 3, 2009, at 21:36, Frank J. R. Hanstick wrote:

> Some port you have installed was installed when the render port
> existed. It has since been superseded by the xorg-renderproto port.
> "port dependents render" might tell you what port still has
> knowledge of the old render port. "port -nf upgrade thatport" might
> fix its dependencies so that it forgets about the render port.

> [snip]
>
>> 	In any case, what is MacPorts doing at this juncture?
>
> I thought it might be this:
>
> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/16085
>
> But that was fixed in 1.7.1 which you said you have... So I'm not
> sure.
>
> It probably has to do with using "port upgrade installed" instead
> of "port upgrade outdated". So use the latter in the future.

Frank J. R. Hanstick
trog24 at comcast.net