Readline fails to build (yet again)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Apr 6 22:53:01 PDT 2009

On Apr 6, 2009, at 23:37, lists at mgreg.com wrote:

> On Apr 7, 2009, at 12:08 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> Hmm, I'm not sure. I'm curious to know what file or directory it's
>> looking for and not finding.
>>
>> Could you try
>>
>> sudo port clean readline
>> sudo port -d install readline 2>&1 | tee ~/Desktop/readline.txt
>>
>> and if it fails again, send us readline.txt from your desktop, so
>> we can see the complete output.
>

> The output file was 44k, and I'm not sure about etiquette on this
> particular list, so I decided to simply attach it as a file.  If
> you'd prefer I actually post the output, let me know and I'll do so.

Attaching as a file is great, thanks; it ensures the output doesn't
get reformatted by the email program.

So, looking into this, the readline port tries to delete the file $
{prefix}/share/info/dir in post-destroot. It has done this since
r7643 (2004-07-04).

MacPorts base also deletes this file automatically, in all ports.
MacPorts has done this since r7669 (2004-07-08).

The readline port could be changed to delete the file only if it
exists. Or, given that MacPorts base already does this, the line
could be removed from the readline port.

But I'm not clear why this is now, all of a sudden, almost 5 years
later, causing a problem.

BTW, I don't see the problem, on Mac OS X 10.4.11 Intel with Xcode
2.5 and MacPorts 1.7.1.