Readline fails to build (yet again)

lists at mgreg.com lists at mgreg.com
Fri Apr 10 17:56:05 PDT 2009

On Apr 7, 2009, at 1:53 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> Attaching as a file is great, thanks; it ensures the output doesn't
> get reformatted by the email program.
>
> So, looking into this, the readline port tries to delete the file $
> {prefix}/share/info/dir in post-destroot. It has done this since
> r7643 (2004-07-04).
>
> MacPorts base also deletes this file automatically, in all ports.
> MacPorts has done this since r7669 (2004-07-08).
>
> The readline port could be changed to delete the file only if it
> exists. Or, given that MacPorts base already does this, the line
> could be removed from the readline port.
>
> But I'm not clear why this is now, all of a sudden, almost 5 years
> later, causing a problem.
>
> BTW, I don't see the problem, on Mac OS X 10.4.11 Intel with Xcode
> 2.5 and MacPorts 1.7.1.

Well, it was trying to install readline 6.0 (which is fine).  However,
I kept getting DESTROOT errors -- which I still don't fully understand
(I'm in the midst of reading the DEV info now).  So, I ended up
removing all references to DESTROOT, namely the following:

post-destroot {
     delete ${destroot}${prefix}/share/info/dir

     set docdir ${prefix}/share/doc/${name}-${version}
     xinstall -d ${destroot}${docdir}/html
     xinstall -m 0644 -W ${worksrcpath} CHANGELOG CHANGES COPYING NEWS
README \
         ${destroot}${docdir}
     eval xinstall -m 0644 [glob ${worksrcpath}/doc/*.html] \
         ${destroot}${docdir}/html
}

# Install symlinks to avoid breaking ports linked against the old
versions
platform darwin {
     post-destroot {
         foreach f {history readline} {
             foreach v {0 1 2} {
                 ln -sf lib${f}.${milestone}.dylib ${destroot}$
{prefix}/lib/lib${f}.5.${v}.dylib
             }
         }
     }
}

I'm not sure what problems that will present in the future, but it got
past the errors.  I'm still unclear as to where items such as DESTROOT
and WORKSRCPATH are actually getting set.  Thoughts on any of this?

Thanks,
Michael