Macports X11 damaged?

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at macports.org
Tue Apr 7 14:31:29 PDT 2009

On Apr 7, 2009, at 12:30, Gerhard G. wrote:

> Am Dienstag, 7. April 2009 schrieb William Davis:
>> On Apr 6, 2009, at 6:11 PM, ggrubbish at web.de wrote:
>> [...]
>> port installed X*
>>
>> This will give you a list of the "X" programs you installed.  At
>> least
>>
>> some of these will look like  this:
>>> xorg-libX11 @1.2_0+system_x11 (active)
>>
>> See the "+system_x11" tag?  For each port (program) with a
>> "+system_x11" tag do this:
>> sudo port -d deactivate xprogram+system_x11
>> where xprogram  equals the name of the program.
>> then reinstall each of the programs leaving off the "+system_x11"
>> tag, for example
>> sudo port -d install xorg-libX11
>>

> Thank you very much William!
> Your hints were right, and my macports system is ok again. All
> +system_x11 variants (also the line in variants.conf) are deactivated
> and reinstalled. I used grep and awk to get a script to do so
> according
> your description.
>
> I thank also Jeremy Huddleston to shed some light on the macports
> system. I use macports on Tiger 10.4.11 PPC, and if I gonna switch to
> leopard I'll try his propoasal to install macports with the Xquartz
> Server from apple. I think that is not an option for me with tiger.
>
> xdvi etc. are working again, but xpdf gives new error messages (but no
> longer X related.):

You may have some lingering applications linking against the wrong
libs.  Do a quick check using:

cd /opt/local/lib
for f in *dylib; do otool -L $f | grep -q /usr/X11 && echo $f; done

cd /opt/local/bin
for f in *; do otool -L $f | grep -q /usr/X11 && echo $f; done

If nothing is output, you're golden.  Otherwise you should uninstall
the ports providing the files that are echoed back and reinstall them.

> :~]$ > xpdf &
> [1] 18214
> :~]$ > Error: No paper information available - using defaults
> Error: No display font for 'Courier'
> Error: No display font for 'Courier-Bold'
> Error: No display font for 'Courier-BoldOblique'
> Error: No display font for 'Courier-Oblique'
> Error: No display font for 'Helvetica'
> Error: No display font for 'Helvetica-Bold'
> Error: No display font for 'Helvetica-BoldOblique'
> Error: No display font for 'Helvetica-Oblique'
> Error: No display font for 'Symbol'
> Error: No display font for 'Times-Bold'
> Error: No display font for 'Times-BoldItalic'
> Error: No display font for 'Times-Italic'
> Error: No display font for 'Times-Roman'
> Error: No display font for 'ZapfDingbats'
> Error: Couldn't find per display information
>
> [1]+  Exit 1                  xpdf

Yeah, I get most of that... /shrug ... xpdf still works.

> I'm using X11.app from apple as an xserver, because startx doesn't
> work:
>
> xinit:  No such file or directory (errno 2):  no
> server "/opt/local/bin/X" in PATH
>
> Is this as expected?

Don't use startx.  Install the xorg-server port and just launch /
Applications/MacPorts/X11.app

Still, I'm concerned that you don't have /opt/local/bin/X ... did you
install the xorg-server port?  If you want "all" of X, you should run:

sudo port -v install xorg

This will give you the latest X11 apps, X11 server, HW-accelerated
GLX, and the latest quartz-wm... basically exactly what is available
from http://xquartz.macosforge.org for Leopard, but you're able to
build it for Tiger (well I built the quartz-wm since it's closed
source, but everything else you build).

I hope that helps,
Jeremy