postfix can not start

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Mon Apr 20 07:25:22 PDT 2009

You upgrade mysql and it removed a library that postfix depended on. (/
opt/local/lib/mysql5/mysql/libmysqlclient.16.dylib).

When you removed and re-installed postfix, it found the newer mysql
library and worked again.

One way of dealing with this sort of thing would be to have a staging
server where you can test upgrades before you push them to your
production machine (or if you have a cluster, you might be able to
remove one machine from the cluster, test the upgrade on it, and move
it back into the cluster once you are confident that the upgrade
worked).

--
Daniel J. Luke