gnome-menus v kde4

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Apr 27 12:34:11 PDT 2009

On Apr 27, 2009, at 14:30, David Evans wrote:

> I've been working through the gnome dependency tree from the bottom up
> upgrading to 2.26 which is way over due.  However, I think on going
> maintainership of gnome is more than a one man task.  So I'm
> willing to
> be a co-maintainer if others will also participate.
>
> With regard to QA, a major problem with MacPorts is the lack of a
> separate port tree for ports under test.  With something as far
> reaching
> as gnome or kde, when a major revision occurs, it would be better to
> work out all the kinks for the suite of ports in such a testing
> environment
> without inflicting it on the MacPorts user community at large.  Then,
> the next step would be to establish a testing protocol and recruiting
> a group of testers who are willing to work with less than perfect
> ports.

You could create a branch of the ports tree and work on a major
upgrade there, recruiting people to test it as needed, then merge it
back to the main ports tree when ready. There's no specific support
in MacPorts for this, but all you have to do is check out the branch
URL somewhere and point your sources.conf at it.