uninstalling ports

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Apr 30 10:12:02 PDT 2009

On Apr 30, 2009, at 09:11, Alejandro Aragon wrote:

> I need to free up some space and now I see that the /opt folder has
> 12.2GB used. After invoking 'sudo port installed', I see that there
> are way too many ports that are installed but not active, so I
> thought that I may uninstall them. Instead of going one by one
> (because there are too many), is there a way to uninstall all
> inactive ports?

In addition to uninstalling inactive ports, you may want to clean out
your distfiles. There will be many distfiles for old versions of
ports which you don't need anymore, and you don't even need the
current versions anymore, since you've already installed the ports.
To see how much space the distfiles are occupying, try running

cd /opt/local/var/macports
du -sh distfiles

You can clean it up by simply removing everything in the directory
(though don't delete the directory itself):

cd /opt/local/var/macports
sudo rm -rf distfiles/*