cpanp error

Shawn Protsman protsman at mac.com
Wed Aug 5 14:54:40 PDT 2009

On Aug 5, 2009, at 2:37 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Aug 5, 2009, at 15:53, Shawn Protsman wrote:
>
>> <snip>
>> I've removed everything else (in an attempt to clean it up and
>> reinstall 5.10) but 5.8.9 has dependencies:
>>
>> @naiad /opt/local/bin] sudo port uninstall perl5.8 @5.8.9_3
>> --->  Unable to uninstall perl5.8 5.8.9_3, the following ports
>> depend on it:
>> --->  	p5-error
>> --->  	git-core
>> --->  	ghc
>> Error: port uninstall failed: Please uninstall the ports that
>> depend on perl5.8 first.
>>
>> Suggestions?
>
> If you have the current version of ports ("sudo port sync" gets you
> them), p5-error and git-core do not depend on perl5.8 but on perl5,
> which means that either perl5.8 or perl5.10 would work. You should
> be able to forcibly uninstall them (port -f uninstall p5-error git-
> core) and then reinstall them to get them to correctly record their
> dependencies on perl5.
>
> ghc requires perl5.8. A comment in that portfile reads "since
> correctly handling whitespace is critical, only perl 5.8 is known to
> work reliably." If you need more information than that you could ask
> ghc's maintainer or the developers of ghc.

Uhg. I wish you were right but git-core wants to install perl5.8:

@naiad ~] sudo port -f uninstall p5-error git-core perl5.8
--->  Unable to uninstall p5-error 0.17015_0, the following ports
depend on it:
--->  	git-core
Warning: Uninstall forced.  Proceeding despite dependencies.
--->  Deactivating p5-error @0.17015_0
--->  Uninstalling p5-error @0.17015_0
--->  Deactivating git-core @1.6.4_0+doc
--->  Uninstalling git-core @1.6.4_0+doc