cpanp error

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Aug 5 15:58:55 PDT 2009

On Aug 5, 2009, at 16:54, Shawn Protsman wrote:

>> If you have the current version of ports ("sudo port sync" gets
>> you them), p5-error and git-core do not depend on perl5.8 but on
>> perl5, which means that either perl5.8 or perl5.10 would work. You
>> should be able to forcibly uninstall them (port -f uninstall p5-
>> error git-core) and then reinstall them to get them to correctly
>> record their dependencies on perl5.
>
> Uhg. I wish you were right but git-core wants to install perl5.8:
>
> @naiad ~] sudo port -f uninstall p5-error git-core perl5.8
> --->  Unable to uninstall p5-error 0.17015_0, the following ports
> depend on it:
> --->  	git-core
> Warning: Uninstall forced.  Proceeding despite dependencies.
> --->  Deactivating p5-error @0.17015_0
> --->  Uninstalling p5-error @0.17015_0
> --->  Deactivating git-core @1.6.4_0+doc
> --->  Uninstalling git-core @1.6.4_0+doc
> --->  Deactivating perl5.8 @5.8.9_3
> --->  Uninstalling perl5.8 @5.8.9_3
>
> @naiad ~] sudo port install git-core
> --->  Fetching perl5.8
> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for perl5.8
> --->  Extracting perl5.8
> --->  Applying patches to perl5.8
> --->  Configuring perl5.8
> --->  Building perl5.8

My mistake. git-core depends on perl5, like I said, but perl5 depends
on perl5.8. I had thought perl5 could make use of either perl5.8 or
perl5.10, whichever was already installed, but I was wrong. In that
case, there isn't a way to have MacPorts use perl5.10.

Marcus, what is the purpose of perl5, then? :) Why did we spend all
this effort converting ports from depending on perl5.8 to depending
on perl5?

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/16830 is the ticket about perl5,
which is very lengthy and I don't feel like like reading through it
all now. The last comments say we're waiting on perl 5.10.1 to be
released, which still hasn't happened.