Building MacPorts on a Linux system

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Thu Aug 20 00:31:24 PDT 2009

On 2009-8-20 14:17, Sumner Trammell wrote:
> MacPorts works so well that I would like to build it on a Linux system
> and use it there. I'm (unfortunately) using SuSE (SLES) Linux. Running
> configure without options died here:
>
> checking objc/objc.h usability... no
> checking objc/objc.h presence... no
> checking for objc/objc.h... no
> configure: error: Can't locate Objective C runtime headers
>

> I don't know a lot about Linux, but I expected this.  Can you
> recommend some configure options that might allow MacPorts to build on
> a vanilla SuSE/SLES Linux system? (Is it possible for me to turn off
> the Mac-specific things?)

Configure with `--with-objc-runtime=no --with-objc-foundation=no`. You
could install GNUstep instead, but that doesn't appear to buy you
anything with the current base code. In fact, lack of objc support
probably shouldn't cause configure to fail at all.

Other missing dependencies you may bump into on systems other than OS X
are Tcl with threads enabled, and mtree.

I do hope you understand, BTW, that the vast majority of ports are never
tested on anything other than Mac OS X...

- Josh