Building MacPorts on a Linux system

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Aug 19 22:38:42 PDT 2009

> On Aug 19, 2009, at 23:17, Sumner Trammell wrote:
>
>> checking objc/objc.h usability... no
>> checking objc/objc.h presence... no
>> checking for objc/objc.h... no
>> configure: error: Can't locate Objective C runtime headers

>> If there is no way to build MacPorts on a Linux system

MacPorts focuses on Mac OS X, but should be usable on other operating
systems. There are ports that state they will work on other operating
systems, and there are those that include patches which are used only
on other operating systems. Still, these aspects aren't tested by the
majority of MacPorts users so you may run into problems.

Not sure what part of MacPorts needs Objective C or how to work
around that for non-Darwin operating systems. What version of
MacPorts was this you tried?

On Aug 19, 2009, at 23:47, Andrew Berry wrote:

> I'm going to guess that many ports contain OS X specific patches,
> much like FreeBSD Ports do. Unless there's an easy way to turn such
> patches off, you're going to run into problems building packages.

A port that includes Mac-specific patches but does not isolate these
to a "platforms darwin" section should be fixed to do so. Feel free
to file a ticket if you find such a port.