custom build

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Aug 24 12:59:36 PDT 2009

On Aug 24, 2009, at 12:47, David Cake wrote:

> At 4:52 AM -0500 24/8/09, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Aug 24, 2009, at 04:19, David Cake wrote:
>>
>>> 	How do I use MacPorts to first download source ready to install,
>>> then make some custom changes, then build?
>>> 	My actual aim is to add a particular type of decoder to
>>> wireshark that doesn't appear to currently be included (though
>>> code exists), which I am reasonable sure requires building from
>>> source. So the code changes I want to make are unlikely to
>>> interact with anything else in the system.
>>
>> If you would like to add this capability to the wireshark port,
>> you can use "port edit wireshark" to see the wireshark portfile in
>> your preferred editor, make the necessary changes, and then
>> install the port. If you would like to contribute these changes
>> back to the project, you can attach a diff of your changes to a
>> ticket in the issue tracker.
>
> 	That does seem interesting and useful, but what I want to know is
> basically how to make changes to the source, rather than the build
> instructions.

You want to make changes to the wireshark source? Ok, it's located in
the directory printed out by the command

	port work wireshark

So you could

	port extract wineshark

and then

	cd $(port work wireshark)

and make a copy of the wireshark source directory in there

	cp -Rp wireshark* orig

and then go to town making modifications. You can get a diff between
the original and your changes by doing

	diff -ru orig wireshark*

You can then finish the install with your modifications with

	port install wireshark

Note that by default autoclean mode is on which will delete the
source directory along with your changes after installation. If you
don't want that, turn off autoclean mode in macports.conf.