error compiling Octave

Olivier Le Floch alakazam at macports.org
Wed Aug 26 06:15:45 PDT 2009

Hi !

On 26 août 09, at 14:01, Lenore Horner wrote:

> There's a bug report on this, but nothing's happening on it, so I
> thought I'd ask the list.

First vacation, then work, has prevented me from looking into this in
sufficient detail earlier. Sorry for the delay.

> This is the error - before this a lot of things scroll by going fine.
>
> lo-specfun.cc: In function 'Complex xlgamma(const Complex&)':
> lo-specfun.cc:327: error: 'lgamma_r' was not declared in this scope
> make[2]: *** [lo-specfun.o] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [liboctave] Error 2
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> I contacted the octave people because this looked like they had a
> messed up code, but they say it must be the port because some people
> are successful compiling on Mac (including the guy who responded to
> me).  I haven't a clue how the port file could be messed up to cause
> the compiler to think a variable hadn't been declared.

Which platform / mac os / gcc versions was he using, and which are you
using ? What was the compile line for the failing file in your build,
and in his. Starting from there, we can determine in which way the
compiler args differ, and work from there.

> I've gotten the same error with Xcode 3.1.2 and Xcode 3.1.3.  Maybe
> it's a ppc vs intel thing.
>
> Anyone have any clues?

I would suspect it's an include / compile flags issue rather than a
platform issue, in this specific case. If you're in a hurry to get
octave built, I'd suggest you use another compiler variant, and see if
that works correctly.

Regards,

--
Olivier Le Floch