cannot compile

Lenore Horner LenoreHorner at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 27 11:23:47 PDT 2009

>>> Lenore,
>>>
>>> I apologize for giving  you the run around, but as the problem
>>> appears to be with MacPorts "port" of Octave, I suggest you report
>>> the problem to them
>>>
>>> Ben
>>>
>> Thanks Ben.  I had already done so, though nothing is happening
>> there.  Can you tell me what makes you think it's the port and not
>> octave itself?  I thought that this looked more like an octave
>> problem.  If it complained of a missing library, I'd expect it to
>> be a port problem.  What am I missing?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Lenore
>
> Octave 3.2.2 builds for many others on Mac OSX (including me).  So I
> assume it is a problem specific to MacPorts.
>
> Ben

I'm not the only one reporting an error though.  The suspect is some
configuration flags.  Here's what I've been asked.

> I have {{{checking for lgamma_r... no}}} when running {{{port -d
> configure
> octave}}} while you have {{{yes}}}.
>
> [http://lists.apple.com/archives/Xcode-users/2008/Feb/msg00557.html]
> and
> [http://lists.apple.com/archives/xcode-users/2008/Mar/msg00078.html]
> are
> probably related.
>
> {{{-D_REENTRANT}}} should probably be specified when compiling {{{lo-
> specfun.cc}}} :
>
> {{{
> /opt/local/bin/g++-mp-4.3 -c -I/opt/local/include -I/opt/local/include
> -I/opt/local/include/freetype2 -I/opt/local/include -I. -I..
> -I../liboctave -I../src -I../libcruft/misc  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -Wall -W
> -Wshadow -Wold-style-cast -Wformat -O2 -I/opt/local/include/freetype2
> -I/opt/local/include lo-specfun.cc -o lo-specfun.o
> lo-specfun.cc: In function 'Complex xlgamma(const Complex&)':
> lo-specfun.cc:327: error: 'lgamma_r' was not declared in this scope
> }}}
>
> I suspect this would however be an upstream issue. Lenore, you said
> you
> asked about this on the octave mailing lists ? Do you have a link to
> the
> conversation or could you provide the relevant bits, in particular
> specific answers regarding successful compilation of the latest
> octave on
> a PPC machine (the best would be to have the same output as you
> provided,
> but for a successful build) ? Thanks !
>
> --
> Ticket URL: <http://trac.macports.org/ticket/20636#comment:15>
> MacPorts <http://www.macports.org/>
> Ports system for Mac OS

FWIW, I had Octave successfully compiled on this machine until I wiped
it out to upgrade.  It wasn't very old - some time this summer - but I
don't know which version it actually was.