MySQL5 and php5

Mark Hattam mark at dxradio.demon.co.uk
Sat Aug 29 03:59:31 PDT 2009

On 29 Aug 2009, at 10:38, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Aug 28, 2009, at 19:58, Mark Hattam wrote:
>
>> As I've just port sync'd and received
>>
>> The following installed ports are outdated:
>> mysql5                         5.0.84_0 < 5.0.85_0
>> mysql5-server                  5.0.84_0 < 5.0.85_0
>> php5                           5.3.0_1 < 5.3.0_2
>>
>> It seems a good opportunity to sort out my MySQL5 and php5
>> installations, as they're the "old" standard, rather than the
>> prolilfic number of new sub-ports.
>
>> The following ports are currently installed:
>
>> php5 @5.3.0_1+apache2+macosx+mysql5 (active)
>

> Nothing has changed about the mysql5 ports recently.
>
> The php5 port is being split into separate ports for each module;
> this process is mostly complete. The MySQL support in particular is
> among the features that has been split out into its own port in
> 5.3.0_2.
>

>> But what do I have to uninstall in what order, and will I be able
>> to rebuild everything again ... ?
>
> You don't have to uninstall anything. Simply
>
> sudo port upgrade mysql5 mysql5-server php5
>
> as always.
>

>> Is there a standard crib sheet of which php5 subports used to get
>> installed as "standard" and which of these I now have to install
>> separately?
>
> No, I have not written one. The changelog for the php5 port or my
> notes in ticket #19091 should tell you though. I was thinking it
> might be a good idea to make a "php" page in the wiki, but I haven't
> started work on it. While I'm working on the ports, if someone else
> would like to write documentation, be my guest. There is also
> already the "MAMP" page in the wiki which may need to be updated for
> the changes in php5 5.3.0_2.
>

>> So far I've only run foul of gd and mcrypt as you can see above.
>
> Those were some of the first to be pulled out of php5 in 5.3.0_1.
> Several more have been removed in 5.3.0_2.
>

>> does php5 need +mysql5 or +mysql5-server or php5-mysql +mysql5
>> or ... ?
>> sudo port install php5 +mysql5
>> sudo port install php5 +mysql5-server
>> sudo port install php5-mysql +mysql5
>
> If you want a MySQL client program, you install the port mysql5, and
> if you want a MySQL server, you install the port mysql5-server, as
> before.
>
> "port variants php5" informs you what variants are available in that
> port.
>
> Previously, if you wanted MySQL support in PHP, you would select the
> +mysqlnd or +mysql5 or +mysql4 variant of the php5 port. If you do
> this now, or upgrade a php5 that already has these variants
> selected, a message will be printed explaining these variants are
> obsolete, and that you should now install the php5-mysql port
> instead to get the same functionality. (The wording of that message
> wasn't entirely clear so I just changed it.) The php5-mysql port has
> the same +mysqlnd, +mysql5 and +mysql4 variants you can select if
> desired. The default is +mysqlnd which does not require any MySQL
> [...]

Thanks, Ryan

I think I'll hang fire a few days at least ... Snow Leopard came this
morning, but I'm not rushing into that just before going to work today.

That'll require a re-install of MacPorts and rebuild of things
anyway ... and DSPAM is going to be a problem as the sourcecode no
longer exists for 3.80

Meanwhile, I can always look at phpinfo() output for my current set-
up, then with SnowLeopard install php5 with MySQL server and then work
my way down the new phpinfo() output, and add back in what's missing.
I have little idea which particular modules are used by which of my
php scripts. I didn't notice mcrypt was required until I ran
phpMyAdmin for instance. Few prepared scripts list their module
requirements as they usually assume a fairly standard set of installed
modules. I can see why it's useful to split them out, but it does make
it a little harder work to install a standard set from scratch.

Thanks for sorting Apache too.

Mark