Non-working non-root install

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Aug 30 01:19:29 PDT 2009

On Aug 29, 2009, at 14:29, Bryan Blackburn wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 05:40:51AM -0500, Ryan Schmidt said:
>
>> I have been running a non-root installation of MacPorts 1.7.1 and
>> earlier with no problems. I use "port install foo" (without sudo)
>> most of the time. When I encounter the occasional port that really
>> does require root, then I use sudo.
>>
>> I now have a non-root install of MacPorts 1.8.0 and Snow Leopard on a
>> clean drive and I am having problems.
>
> What was the configure line you used to do the install?  I have a 1.8
> install in my homedir, which had no problems with zlib.
>

>> First, MacPorts now tells me all the time "MacPorts running without
>> privileges. You may be unable to complete certain actions (eg
>> install)." Is there a way to get MacPorts to shut up about it? :) I
>> know what I'm doing and don't need to be reminded about it ten times
>> per port.
>
> That is pretty ugly output, it should probably only say so once I
> would say
> (per run).  Ticket?

Are you also seeing the output I see?

>> Second, every port I've tried so far fails to get through the install
>> phase, citing permission problems with manpages, presumably relating
>> to MacPorts' re-compressing of manpages. The latter is filed as
>>
>> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/20887
>
> Since I'm not seeing this, it's probably a deal with needing some more
> configure options (assuming you used the same as in that ticket).

No, I used:

./configure \
--prefix=$PREFIX \
--with-tclpackage=$PREFIX/Library/Tcl \
--with-applications-dir=$PREFIX/Applications \
--with-frameworks-dir=$PREFIX/Library/Frameworks \
--with-macports-user=rschmidt \
--with-install-user=rschmidt \
--with-install-group=admin \
--enable-readline

> I have been using:
>
> $ ./configure --prefix=/Users/blb/MacPorts/mp-test
> --with-tclpackage=/Users/blb/MacPorts/mp-test/Library/Tcl
> --with-applications-dir=/Users/blb/MacPorts/mp-test/Applications
> --with-frameworks-dir=/Users/blb/MacPorts/mp-test/Library/Frameworks
> --with-install-user=blb --with-install-group=blb --with-no-root-
> privileges
> --with-macports-user=blb --enable-readline
>
> (or similar paths) for my home-based installs.  It may be the
> --with-macports-user that is needed.

I was using --with-macports-user but I was not using --with-no-root-
privileges because the description of that option in "./configure --
help" did not describe a behavior I desired.

http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2009-July/015966.html

I tried adding --with-no-root-privileges now but it did not change
anything.

The only other difference I can see between what you do and what I do
is that I use group admin and you use the group blb. I changed mine to
use the group rschmidt and it didn't change anything either.