Non-working non-root install

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Sun Aug 30 12:44:39 PDT 2009

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 03:19:29AM -0500, Ryan Schmidt said:
> On Aug 29, 2009, at 14:29, Bryan Blackburn wrote:
> >On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 05:40:51AM -0500, Ryan Schmidt said:
> >
> >>I have been running a non-root installation of MacPorts 1.7.1 and
> >>earlier with no problems. I use "port install foo" (without sudo)
> >>most of the time. When I encounter the occasional port that really
> >>does require root, then I use sudo.
> >>
> >>I now have a non-root install of MacPorts 1.8.0 and Snow Leopard on a
> >>clean drive and I am having problems.
> >
> >What was the configure line you used to do the install?  I have a 1.8
> >install in my homedir, which had no problems with zlib.
> >

> >>First, MacPorts now tells me all the time "MacPorts running without
> >>privileges. You may be unable to complete certain actions (eg
> >>install)." Is there a way to get MacPorts to shut up about it? :) I
> >>know what I'm doing and don't need to be reminded about it ten times
> >>per port.
> >
> >That is pretty ugly output, it should probably only say so once I
> >would say
> >(per run).  Ticket?
>
> Are you also seeing the output I see?

Yes, the same warning during each phase, hence my thinking it should
probably be printed only once, and that we should probably have a ticket to
keep track of it.

[...]
> I was using --with-macports-user but I was not using --with-no-root-
> privileges because the description of that option in "./configure --
> help" did not describe a behavior I desired.
>
> http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2009-July/015966.html
>
> I tried adding --with-no-root-privileges now but it did not change
> anything.
>
> The only other difference I can see between what you do and what I do
> is that I use group admin and you use the group blb. I changed mine
> to use the group rschmidt and it didn't change anything either.

You may also want to check macportsuser in macports.conf, perhaps it isn't
what it should be?  If it isn't there at all, the default value should be
coming from ${prefix}/share/macports/Tcl/port1.0/port_autoconf.tcl.

Other than that, I'm not sure why it would work here but not for you.

Bryan