Trying to rebuild on 10.6

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Aug 31 18:06:57 PDT 2009

On Aug 31, 2009, at 20:02, Mark Hattam wrote:

> On 1 Sep 2009, at 01:40, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> The solution is to upgrade grep (and gawk and gsed if you have
>> them) first. Then clean db46 (or whatever other port you got stuck
>> on) and try again. I will add this information to the Migration
>> wiki page.
>

> I did try a few more upgrades for specific named ports rather than
> "installed" ... but they all errored in much the same way. And so I
> then started on the roll-back to 10.5.8 - TimeMachine did a good
> job, although Mail insisted on rebuilding all my mailboxes (30 mins
> for 1 million emails).
>
> my current "port installed" has amongst others ...
>
>  gawk @3.1.7_0 (active)
>  grep @2.5.4_0 (active)
>  gsed @4.2.1_0 (active)
>
> But gawk and gsed only got there by being dependents of something
> else. grep I think I installed. Is there any way of determining
> which ports were user-installed and which were only dependent-
> installed?

Not at this time, unfortunately. There is a ticket for that feature
request, but I don't remember what it's called so I can't find it
right now.

But you can "sudo port uninstall grep"; if it's needed by something,
MacPorts will tell you; otherwise, it will let you uninstall it.

I updated the Migration page BTW. I have not tested the new
instructions so they may still need tweaking.