Trying to rebuild on 10.6

Mark Hattam mark at dxradio.demon.co.uk
Mon Aug 31 18:23:54 PDT 2009

On 1 Sep 2009, at 02:06, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Aug 31, 2009, at 20:02, Mark Hattam wrote:
>

>> On 1 Sep 2009, at 01:40, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>>> The solution is to upgrade grep (and gawk and gsed if you have
>>> them) first. Then clean db46 (or whatever other port you got stuck
>>> on) and try again. I will add this information to the Migration
>>> wiki page.
>>

>> I did try a few more upgrades for specific named ports rather than
>> "installed" ... but they all errored in much the same way. And so I
>> then started on the roll-back to 10.5.8 - TimeMachine did a good
>> job, although Mail insisted on rebuilding all my mailboxes (30 mins
>> for 1 million emails).
>>
>> my current "port installed" has amongst others ...
>>
>> gawk @3.1.7_0 (active)
>> grep @2.5.4_0 (active)
>> gsed @4.2.1_0 (active)
>>
>> But gawk and gsed only got there by being dependents of something
>> else. grep I think I installed. Is there any way of determining
>> which ports were user-installed and which were only dependent-
>> installed?
>
> Not at this time, unfortunately. There is a ticket for that feature
> request, but I don't remember what it's called so I can't find it
> right now.
>
> But you can "sudo port uninstall grep"; if it's needed by something,
> MacPorts will tell you; otherwise, it will let you uninstall it.
>
> I updated the Migration page BTW. I have not tested the new
> instructions so they may still need tweaking.

iMac:~ mark$ sudo port uninstall gsed
--->  Unable to uninstall gsed 4.2.1_0, the following ports depend on
it:
--->  	php5
Error: port uninstall failed: Please uninstall the ports that depend
on gsed first.

OK that's pretty vital ...

iMac:~ mark$ sudo port uninstall gawk
--->  Unable to uninstall gawk 3.1.7_0, the following ports depend on
it:
--->  	autoconf213
Error: port uninstall failed: Please uninstall the ports that depend
on gawk first.

Ok, what installed autoconf213 ...

iMac:~ mark$ sudo port uninstall autoconf213
--->  Deactivating autoconf213 @2.13_1
--->  Uninstalling autoconf213 @2.13_1

apparently nothing, so presumably left over from something else ...
so ...

iMac:~ mark$ sudo port uninstall gawk
--->  Deactivating gawk @3.1.7_0
--->  Uninstalling gawk @3.1.7_0

hope nothing's broken now.

Lastly ...

iMac:~ mark$ sudo port uninstall grep
--->  Deactivating grep @2.5.4_0
--->  Uninstalling grep @2.5.4_0

must have been me installing it then ... so I'll put it back in and
try 10.6 again (but not at 2am)

Mark