Hello macports team!

Dominik Reichardt domiman at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 12:26:38 PST 2009

First off, let me say that for huge Programs with lot of dependencies (like The Gimp) *I* prefer to download a precompiled package. The Gimp can be downloaded at http://gimp.lisanet.de/Website/Download.html with the latest version packaged for Snow Leopard (in 64bit) and Leopard.

> I Have installed X11 and Xcode(when installing Xcode 3.1.4 I was not able to
> locate the part about "3. Click Customize, expand the Applications category
> and click the checkbox beside X11 SDK to add it to the default items." that
> is in the InstallingMacPorts section on
> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/InstallingMacPorts).
>
> However, I continued on, and went along with installing MacPorts. This was
> all a complete failure for me... I tried to uninstall macports via the
> Terminal Window, however the command had no effect(I believe because it was
> never installed properly).

Please elaborate what you mean with "a complete failure". That's not a very thorough description of your problem. But I *think* it might just be that you expect MacPorts to behave in a different way than it actually does :)

> and MacPorts Installed... (and not doing anything ):   )

After installation of MacPorts it does nothing. MacPorts has the ability of installing over 6000 packages for you. It's waiting for you to tell it what to do.
In your case, if you really want to compile The Gimp yourself instead of just installing it from the link I gave above, it would be the command "sudo port install gimp"

--
Take care
Dominik Reichardt

""Was hast Du auf der Müllkippe gemacht?"
"Geatmet."
"Geatmet?"
"Hm-Hmh. Geatmet. Und Du?"
"Nachgedacht."
"Über was bestimmtes?"
"Nur daß ich nicht in der gleichen Welt leben möchte, wie die World Wrestling Federation und der Tele-Shop Kanal."
"Nett.""
	 Death - The time of your Live