Hello macports team!

Bradley Giesbrecht brad at pixilla.com
Thu Dec 3 12:25:16 PST 2009

Welcome.

On Dec 3, 2009, at 12:10 PM, max wrote:

> I'm new to mac computers, and I was wanting to use the MacPorts for
> installing The Gimp. I have only been using mac for the past two
> months. I know that the Gimp will work with just the X11, however I
> was hoping to put it in a sandbox. I also want macports for other
> open source programs.
> I Have installed X11 and Xcode(when installing Xcode 3.1.4 I was not
> able to locate the part about "3. Click Customize, expand the
> Applications category and click the checkbox beside X11 SDK to add
> it to the default items." that is in the InstallingMacPorts section
> on https://trac.macports.org/wiki/InstallingMacPorts).
> However, I continued on, and went along with installing MacPorts.
> This was all a complete failure for me...

It would help us help you if you told us the steps you took that lead
you to consider your MacPorts install a failure.

Did the port command work after your MacPorts install?

Try something simple like:
$ port search gimp

If that doesn't work describe the result.

If it does work try:
$ port info gimp2

If that doesn't work describe the result.

If it does work try:
$ sudo port -v install gimp2

If that doesn't work describe the result.

// Brad

> I tried to uninstall macports via the Terminal Window, however the
> command had no effect(I believe because it was never installed
> properly).
>
> to let you know a little more...
> I'm running Mac OS X version 10.5.8
> I have X11 installed
> I have Xcode 3.1.4 installed (with one missing step in the macports
> install guide)
> and MacPorts Installed... (and not doing anything ):   )
>
> I would greatly appreciate some assistance from someone. Any sort of
> direction to getting this problem fixed and getting mac ports up and
> running. I was just about to reinstall my OS, but I don't think that
> will do much good.

Unless you have modified the base Mac OS in a significant way you
won't likely need to do anything like this.

// Brad