Dependency problem while install p5-gd

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Dec 4 21:08:17 PST 2009

On Dec 4, 2009, at 21:30, Woody Lin wrote:

> 2009/12/5 Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> I don't think we're seeing the first error here. Can you clean and try again with the debug switch and show us all the output?
>>
>> sudo port clean p5-locale-gettext
>> sudo port -d install p5-locale-gettext
>>

> I have tried to clean and install the p5-locale-gettext.
>
> However, the error message is as below:
>
> ===
> [Users/woodydon] > install p5-gd
> --->  Computing dependencies for p5-gd
> --->  Building p5-locale-gettext
> Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command " cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_perl_p5-locale-gettext/work/gettext-1.05" && /usr/bin/make -j2 all " returned error 2
> ===

That's not enough information to know what went wrong. We need to see the full debug output. Please clean again and install again with the debug switch. If you do it this way...

sudo port clean p5-locale-gettext
sudo port -d install p5-locale-gettext 2>&1 | tee ~/Desktop/p5-locale-gettext.txt

...the entire output will be written to the file p5-locale-gettext.txt on your desktop which you can attach to your reply email.

>> > Perl Version:
>> > This is perl, v5.10.0 built for darwin-thread-multi-2level
>> > (with 2 registered patches, see perl -V for more detail)
>>
>> I'm not sure how well tested the perl5.10 port is. Have you tried using the perl5.8 port instead? Though we would like Perl 5.10 to become the default in MacPorts, 5.8 still is at this time. There is a ticket in the issue tracker about this.
>
> Someone has ever told me that the perl version would be the problem.
> However, I do no know how to switch the perl version for Macports.
> Could you please tell me how to do it?

Assuming you have installed the perl5.10 port, you would

sudo port deactivate perl5.10
sudo port install perl5.8

This would only be the case if you deliberately installed the perl5.10 port; otherwise you would already have the perl5.8 port.