2 trees for inkscape

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Dec 9 00:53:20 PST 2009

On Dec 9, 2009, at 02:07, Wolf Drechsel wrote:

> having had quite a lot of trouble with gtk2, cairo etc. variants for compiling inkscape I came to the result, that maintaining just different variants in one tree does not really work.
>
> So I thought about having different macports trees, e.g. one containing a set of "+x11" variants and another tree with "+quartz_noX11" variants.

Absolutely. When talking about variants like +quartz or +no_x11 that are relevant for many ports, you should really decide to use that variant before installing any ports, and then use it for every port. And the easiest way to ensure that is to put it in variants.conf.

> As I'm not familiar with the concept of "paths" recommended in the inkscape wiki, could I try the following:
>
> create one tree, let's say containing a set of X11 variants,
> do something like
> mv /opt/local /opt/local-X11
> do a second macports install
> create a tree containing the aqua variants
>
> finally switch the variants by just renaming /opt/local-xxx.
>
> Does that idea have a chance to work?

Possibly, but why not just have two MacPorts installations in different prefixes and use whichever one you need at the time? What path recommendations does the Inkscape wiki make?