2 trees for inkscape

~suv suv-sf at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Dec 9 03:57:56 PST 2009

On 9/12/09 09:53, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>> So I thought about having different macports trees, e.g. one
>> containing a set of "+x11" variants and another tree with
>> "+quartz_noX11" variants.
>
> Absolutely. When talking about variants like +quartz or +no_x11 that
> are relevant for many ports, you should really decide to use that
> variant before installing any ports, and then use it for every port.
> And the easiest way to ensure that is to put it in variants.conf.
>
>> So I thought about having different macports trees, e.g. one containing
>> a set of "+x11" variants and another tree with "+quartz_noX11" variants.
>>
>> As I'm not familiar with the concept of "paths" recommended in the
>> inkscape wiki, could I try the following:
>>
>> create one tree, let's say containing a set of X11 variants, do
>> something like mv /opt/local /opt/local-X11 do a second macports
>> install create a tree containing the aqua variants
>>
>> finally switch the variants by just renaming /opt/local-xxx.
>>
>> Does that idea have a chance to work?
>
> Possibly, but why not just have two MacPorts installations in
> different prefixes and use whichever one you need at the time? What
> path recommendations does the Inkscape wiki make?

See [1] about the wiki.

Are there special pitfalls (for a second tree building '+quartz'
variants or a third tree with '+universal') as a result of sharing the
files installed possibly outside the MacPorts tree with the unchanged
default configuration for

  --with-tclpackage="/path/to/tcl/package"
  --with-applications-dir="/path/to/Applications/dir"
  --with-frameworks-dir="/path/to/Frameworks/dir"

when using the package installer version of MacPorts for each different
tree as is most likely intended by the OP?

~suv

[1] The Inkscape Wiki page recommends to use the tarball distribution of
    MacPorts to install the second tree to a different prefix and
    proposes two shell aliases to switch easily between the two
    $PATH/$MANPATH environments (aliases to be added to ~/.bashrc).
<http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/CompilingMacOsX#Installing_a_second_Macports_tree_.28recommended_approach.29>