2 trees for inkscape

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Dec 9 17:23:37 PST 2009

On Dec 9, 2009, at 05:57, ~suv wrote:

>>> could I try the following:
>>>
>>> create one tree, let's say containing a set of X11 variants, do
>>> something like mv /opt/local /opt/local-X11 do a second macports
>>> install create a tree containing the aqua variants
>>>
>>> finally switch the variants by just renaming /opt/local-xxx.
>>>
>>> Does that idea have a chance to work?
>>
>> Possibly, but why not just have two MacPorts installations in
>> different prefixes and use whichever one you need at the time?
>

> Are there special pitfalls (for a second tree building '+quartz'
> variants or a third tree with '+universal') as a result of sharing the
> files installed possibly outside the MacPorts tree with the unchanged
> default configuration for
>
>  --with-tclpackage="/path/to/tcl/package"
>  --with-applications-dir="/path/to/Applications/dir"
>  --with-frameworks-dir="/path/to/Frameworks/dir"
>
> when using the package installer version of MacPorts for each different
> tree as is most likely intended by the OP?

Yes, absolutely. So it would be best not to manually rename MacPorts installation prefixes, and instead build two separate MacPorts installations, in two separate prefixes, and use them from there. I personally prefer to have the tclpackage, applications-dir and frameworks-dir all inside the prefix so they're nice and self-contained. My MacPorts build script contains something like this:

PREFIX=/mp

./configure \
--prefix=$PREFIX \
--with-tclpackage=$PREFIX/Library/Tcl \
--with-applications-dir=$PREFIX/Applications \
--with-frameworks-dir=$PREFIX/Library/Frameworks \
--enable-readline

>> What path recommendations does the Inkscape wiki make?
>
> See [1] about the wiki.
>
> [1] The Inkscape Wiki page recommends to use the tarball distribution of
>    MacPorts to install the second tree to a different prefix and
>    proposes two shell aliases to switch easily between the two
>    $PATH/$MANPATH environments (aliases to be added to ~/.bashrc).
> <http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/CompilingMacOsX#Installing_a_second_Macports_tree_.28recommended_approach.29>

Those recommendations sound basically reasonable, with the exception of a few typos which I've now corrected. If you have any questions about the recommendations made there or need clarification, please ask; we could probably help here, as could I imagine the Inkscape people.