qt4-mac does not build

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Dec 11 12:46:42 PST 2009

On Dec 11, 2009, at 11:19, Frank Schima wrote:

> On Dec 11, 2009, at 4:16 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> Sounds like this ticket:
>>
>> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/20199
>>
>> That ticket describes two qt4-mac conflicts, one with libevent which has been resolved, and another which hasn't. The notes say it's a conflict with kdelibs4, but even after deactivating kdelibs4 I was unable to build qt4-mac, so I don't think that's the port causing the conflict.
>>
>> There are also many other bugs reported against qt4-mac in our issue tracker, and it doesn't build for me on my systems either. If you can help figure out why that is and what we can do about it, it would be appreciated.
>
> It builds fine for me. There are actually 3 known ports that conflict with the qt4-mac build process: kdelibs3, kdelibs4, and libevent. Could you verify that you have tried building qt4-mac with all of those deactivated? Of course you need to clean qt4-mac before attempting to build after the failure, but you know that.

As shown in #20199, qt4-mac and qt4-mac-devel have already been updated to declare conflicts with kdelibs3 and libevent. Thus MacPorts will not allow you to attempt to build the qt4 ports while kdelibs3 or libevent are active.

It also says in the ticket that kdelibs4 conflict, like you said, and that deactivating that port allows qt4 to build, but it did not work for me. On Leopard I was able to reproduce the error reported in the ticket and in this thread by installing kdelibs4 (which installed a lot of dependencies), but I was unable to make the error go away again by deactivating kdelibs4, so I suspected one of its dependencies, but have not attempted to isolate it. Since several others have said deactivating kdelibs4 works for them, maybe I tested wrong. It's just so time-consuming to test this at all since the error does not occur until several hours have been spent compiling.

> Also, are you trying to build universal? That might be a problem too.

On Snow Leopard, yes (I have +universal in the default variants there). On Leopard, no. I've also tried without universal on Snow Leopard, and believe I got yet a different error.

> What is the error that you see?

I've seen so many different errors with the qt4 ports on my systems, I forget what they all were.