Now py-matplotlib won't install

David Nicholls david at mso.anu.edu.au
Sun Dec 27 16:24:12 PST 2009

I tried to install py-matplotlib for Python and got most of the way
through, before being told that some port was in use, and to deactivate
something (should have written it down).  I then closed Teminal,
reopened it and started over.  I now get a message about py-objc2
failing to install (shown here just as a single install):

<xx>:~ xxx$ sudo port install py-pyobjc2
--->  Computing dependencies for py-pyobjc2
--->  Building py-pyobjc2
Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command " cd
"/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_python_py-pyobjc2/work/pyobjc-core"
&& /opt/local/bin/python2.4 setup.py build " returned error 1
Command output: Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "setup.py", line 322, in ?
     package_data = {
   File
"/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/distutils/core.py",
line 110, in setup
     _setup_distribution = dist = klass(attrs)
   File "/opt/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/setuptools/dist.py",
line 260, in __init__
     self.fetch_build_eggs(attrs.pop('setup_requires'))
   File "/opt/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/setuptools/dist.py",
line 283, in fetch_build_eggs
     for dist in working_set.resolve(
   File "/opt/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/pkg_resources.py", line
569, in resolve
     raise VersionConflict(dist,req) # XXX put more info here
pkg_resources.VersionConflict: (macholib 1.2
(/opt/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages),
Requirement.parse('macholib>=1.2.1'))

I have no idea what this implies, but, along with my 'py-biggles'
problem, it suggests to me that running Python under Macports is perhaps
not a reliable process.

But as I don't yet know enough about macports, maybe there's a simple
solution.  Any suggestions?

DN