Now py-matplotlib won't install

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Dec 27 17:49:02 PST 2009

On Dec 27, 2009, at 18:24, David Nicholls wrote:

> I tried to install py-matplotlib for Python and got most of the way through, before being told that some port was in use, and to deactivate something (should have written it down).  I then closed Teminal, reopened it and started over.  I now get a message about py-objc2 failing to install (shown here just as a single install):
>
> <xx>:~ xxx$ sudo port install py-pyobjc2
> --->  Computing dependencies for py-pyobjc2
> --->  Building py-pyobjc2
> Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command " cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_python_py-pyobjc2/work/pyobjc-core" && /opt/local/bin/python2.4 setup.py build " returned error 1
> Command output: Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "setup.py", line 322, in ?
>    package_data = {
>  File "/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/distutils/core.py", line 110, in setup
>    _setup_distribution = dist = klass(attrs)
>  File "/opt/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/setuptools/dist.py", line 260, in __init__
>    self.fetch_build_eggs(attrs.pop('setup_requires'))
>  File "/opt/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/setuptools/dist.py", line 283, in fetch_build_eggs
>    for dist in working_set.resolve(
>  File "/opt/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 569, in resolve
>    raise VersionConflict(dist,req) # XXX put more info here
> pkg_resources.VersionConflict: (macholib 1.2 (/opt/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages), Requirement.parse('macholib>=1.2.1'))

This error is already reported here:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/22593

Recently, py26-pyobjc2 was replaced by py26-pyobjc and py25-pyobjc2 was replaced by py25-pyobjc. Maybe the same change needs to be made to py-pyobjc2 to merge it into py-pyobjc.

> I have no idea what this implies, but, along with my 'py-biggles' problem, it suggests to me that running Python under Macports is perhaps not a reliable process.
>
> But as I don't yet know enough about macports, maybe there's a simple solution.  Any suggestions?

As far as I know, Python in MacPorts should generally work. Of course individual ports may be broken, for which tickets should be filed.

And as Joshua said, you might not want to be using the Python 2.4 versions of these ports; you may instead want to use the Python 2.6 versions of these ports, e.g. py26-pyobjc.