Checksum problems with 'R'

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Sun Feb 8 23:35:02 PST 2009

Remember to use Reply All so your replies go to the list as well as me.

Doug Hall wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 6:47 PM, Joshua Root <jmr at macports.org> wrote:
>> The current version of R is 2.8.1, so the first thing I'd try is `sudo
>> port selfupdate`.
>>
>> - Josh
>>

> Okay, I'm running the latest MacPorts: (1.700), however, I did the
> selfupdate anyway.

'port selfupdate' does the same thing as 'port sync' as well as updating
the base code if needed. So you could have just synced, but you might as
well always run selfupdate just in case base is updated.

> MBP:R $ sudo port install R
> --->  Fetching R
> --->  Attempting to fetch R-2.8.1.tar.gz from
> http://cran.au.r-project.org/src/base/R-2/
> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for R
> Error: Checksum (md5) mismatch for R-2.8.1.tar.gz
> Error: Checksum (sha1) mismatch for R-2.8.1.tar.gz
> Error: Checksum (rmd160) mismatch for R-2.8.1.tar.gz
> Error: Target org.macports.checksum returned: Unable to verify file checksums

cran.au.r-project.org doesn't appear to exist. I'd guess that your ISP
has one of those obnoxious, standards-violating DNS servers that
redirects nonexistent hosts to an ad page.

I've removed that mirror from the port, so if you sync about 30 minutes
after the time of this message, you should be able to fetch R. You'll
want to `sudo port clean --all R` first, to get rid of the bad download.

- Josh