PHP Trouble with XML Parsing

Peter Oakley peteo at oakleystudio.com
Tue Feb 10 21:50:13 PST 2009

Hey everybody, here's a puzzle...

I am a Macintosh user, using MacPorts to install the most up-to-date
PHP5 and various other related libraries on a Mac OS X web server. I
have encountered a problem with PHP commands related to parsing XML
data ( xml_parse_into_struct() and others). These commands, which
worked in an older version of PHP with outdated expat and libxml
libraries, are now causing my web server to exit processing and
report a segmentation fault. Various bug reports I have read seemed
to indicate the problem was with libxml2 v 2.7.2. Here are two links
for your reference:
1) http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=45996
2) http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnome.lib.xml.general/14610

That first link also reports that this bug was fixed with v2.7.3 of
libxml2. That version of libxml2 just became available in MacPorts
within the past day or so. Earlier today I installed it, reinstalled
PHP5, and my phpinfo() indicates it's now using the new libxml2
v2.7.3. But my XML parsing still fails. (Specifically what happens is
that the httpd pid dies. Example from my apache error file: "[notice]
child pid 350 exit signal Bus error (10)".) Is anyone else having
this same trouble with PHP? Any ideas what might be causing this?

- Peter Oakley, webmaster
   Oakley Studio, LLC - Web Sites and Web Strategic Planning
   Distinctive Web Design, Professional Email Services,
   Secure Ecommerce for Small Business
   Web: http://www.oakleystudio.com
   Email: peteo at oakleystudio.com
   Phone: 574-707-0194