New digiKam port - kde4 / io-slave problem

Vlado Plaga rechner at vlado-do.de
Wed Feb 11 08:55:32 PST 2009

After days of compiling I thought I had everything ready to give the
new KDE4 digiKam a try on my PPC iMac - but although it compiles and
starts successfully it does not actually display any pictures. :(

Maybe someone here can help me with this? Problems are I know little
about Portfile generation (and simply adapted the kdegraphics4
Portfile), and even less about programming for KDE4. My Portfile
(see attachment) certainly has too many dependancies, and I had to
activate it with "port -f activate", since some icons had already
been installed by kdebase (or something related).

When I start digikam from a terminal I get the following output:

/Applications/MacPorts/KDE4/digikam.app/Contents/MacOS/digikam
digikam(41240)/phonon (KDE plugin): QDBusError("org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown", "The name org.kde.kded was not provided by any .service files")
digikam(41240)/phonon (KDE plugin): QDBusError("org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown", "The name org.kde.kded was not provided by any .service files")
digikam(41240): Attempt to use QAction "camera_solid" with KXMLGUIFactory!
digikam(41240): Attempt to use QAction "usb_media" with KXMLGUIFactory!
digikam(41240): Attempt to use QAction "card_reader" with KXMLGUIFactory!
digikam(41240): Attempt to use QAction "camera_addedmanually" with KXMLGUIFactory!
digikam(41240): couldn't create slave: "Unable to create io-slave:
klauncher said: Unknown protocol 'digikamdates'.
"
digikam(41240)/digikam (core) Digikam::AlbumManager::slotDatesJobResult: Failed to list dates

digikam(41240): couldn't create slave: "Unable to create io-slave:
klauncher said: Unknown protocol 'digikamalbums'.
"
digikam(41240)/digikam (core) Digikam::AlbumLister::slotResult: Failed to list url:  "Could not start process Unable to create io-slave:
klauncher said: Unknown protocol 'digikamalbums'.
."

digikam(41240)/kdecore (trader) KServiceTypeTrader::defaultOffers: KServiceTypeTrader: serviceType  "Digikam/ImagePlugin"  not found

Of course I searched for some of the terms, especially "Unable to
create io-slave", but the results were neither helpful to me, nor very
encouraging. For example this:

http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=9957#c200416
"I have been struggling with this for at least a year now"

I also found something on environment variables, and tried setting
LDPATH to /opt/local/lib/kde4 (where kio_digikamalbums.so is), but that
did not change anything.

What caused me to embark on this adventure in the first place was
a) I had started using digiKam (KDE 3 version) on Ubuntu and can't
   think of better way to organise my pictures, and
b) I found a blog entry describing how someone successfully compiled
   digikam on Mac OS:
http://opensourcecat.blogspot.com/2009/01/en-digikam-little-step-more-to-world.html

Any help would be appreciated!

Vlado