Question concerning redundant package installation

Charlie Sharpsteen chuck at sharpsteen.net
Wed Feb 11 21:47:57 PST 2009

Hi all,

I have been using macports to install programs that have been a little testy
to compile myself and have been very satisfied so far. However, I just
installed latex2rtf and port downloads and installed a rather large number
of packages including some of the GNU toolchain, perl, and an outdated
tex-live distribution.

Much of this all ready exists on my computer and I am a little concerned
about managing conflicts. Is there any way to have port preferentially link
against libraries outside of /opt/local instead of downloading redundant
copies?

-Charlie