manual changes in /opt/local

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Tue Feb 17 09:43:25 PST 2009

David Epstein wrote:
> updmap is a command that comes with the teTex package. (Side question: how
> would I be able to find this out if I recalled only "updmap" and not "teTex?
> Another side question: is there a way of finding out which commands the
> package teTex will install in /opt/local/bin, without actually installing
> it?)

'port provides $(which updmap)' if you have it installed. If not, there
is no way to find this out. As MacPorts is building from source there is
no way to know which files it will install before building.

> To get back to my main question: "man updmap" says "updmap  reads a
> configuration file, updmap.cfg(5)" and I'm assuming updmap.cfg is supposed
> to be edited by hand---it's a text file.
>
> Problem 1: editing by hand a file in /opt/local. Is this wise? Is there any
> alternative? Will the file be overwritten by a later port?

Yes, it will be overwritten.

> Prolem 2: % slocate updmap.cfg
> /opt/local/share/texmf-dist/web2c/updmap.cfg
> /opt/local/var/macports/software/teTeX/3.0_5/opt/local/share/texmf-dist/web2c/updmap.cfg
>
> so there are two files updmap.cfg files. How do I know which one to edit? Or
> should I be editing yet another copy?

The first one is the current "active" copy. The other one is in the
image where everything gets installed first. At 'port activate'
hardlinks are created in the prefix to the files in the depot. You can
read more about images at <http://guide.macports.org/#internals.images>.

I would recommend to copy the file to ~/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg in your
home and edit it there. I am doing the same for some local latex styles
(although I am using texlive).

> There are a couple of other configuration files in /opt/local that I have
> edited by hand. I have also done something I don't quite remember about
> getting some daily maintenance program or perhaps daily updating of some
> database to work.

Configuration file handling in general is a mess in MacPorts at the
moment. If they were part of the port, an upgrade would simply overwrite
them. So for most ports you have to copy the default configuration
manually and edit it.

Rainer