comparing a possibly altered file with the original

David Epstein David.Epstein at warwick.ac.uk
Wed Feb 18 12:31:17 PST 2009

I have done a very small amount of editing of some configuration files in
/opt/local, and I suddenly realize that I should have been keeping a record,
because upgrading the port will delete my customizations. A specific file I
have changed is texmf.cnf in the teTex package, but I probably only deleted
one or two comment characters.

What is the simplest way to compare the version of the file that I now have
in /opt/local with the version of the file that  I originally downloaded on
installation? I want a method that is safe, with no danger of overwriting my
current setup.

Thanks
David