bug in asciidoc port?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Feb 19 02:57:04 PST 2009

On Feb 18, 2009, at 11:03, David Evans wrote:

> Joerg van den Hoff wrote:
>
>> I recently installed the `asciidoc` port (MacOS 10.4.11) and
>> I noted that the first line in the python source of `asciidoc`
>> reads:
>>
>> #!/usr/bin/env python
>>
>> which finds the system's python binary in /usr/bin. at least
>> for me this is version 2.3.5 but, `asciidoc' needs the macports
>> provided python2.5. so the first line should read
>>
>> #!/usr/bin/env python2.5
>>
>> or probably even better specify directly the path to the
>> correct python executable.
>
> Another solution is to use port python_select (which I think is
> recommended by the python25 port)  to select which
> python binary will be used in the default case
>
> sudo port install python_select
> sudo python_select python25
>
> then
>
> % python --version
> Python 2.5.4

IMHO a user should only need to install python_select if they want to
be able to type "python" and have the MacPorts python executed. A
user should not have to install or use python_select simply in order
to get a program which requires python (like asciidoc) to work
correctly.

There is already this ticket which is perhaps related:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/14005