mysql5 variant

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Mon Feb 23 02:24:34 PST 2009

Scott Haneda wrote:
> What is the +server variant for in mysql5?  I looked at the port
> source, and am no sure.  I did port variant mysql5 and it did not tell
> me much.

The theory is that mysql5 +server will not only install the mysql5
client libs, but also the server.

But due to a bug in the 5.0.x series, --without-server is ignored and
the mysql5 server is always built. So at the moment the only difference
is the launchd startupitem.

There are plans to split off a separate mysql5-server from the port. See
#14146 [1] and #12313 [2] for more details.

Rainer

[1] https://trac.macports.org/ticket/14146
[2] https://trac.macports.org/ticket/12313