Perl error, once and for all

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Wed Feb 25 08:39:13 PST 2009

On Feb 25, 2009, at 10:21 AM, Mark Hattam wrote:
>>> DEBUG: Executing org.macports.activate (p5-mime-base64)
>>> --->  Activating p5-mime-base64 @3.07_0
>>> Error: Target org.macports.activate returned: Image error: /opt/
>>> local/share/man/man3/MIME::Base64.3pm.gz is being used by the
>>> active perl5.8 port.  Please deactivate this port first, or use
>>> the -f flag to force the activation.
>>
>> As the error says, you want to use -f to activate in this case.
>>
>> Really, the port should output a note letting you know that you
>> need to do this (and/or we should just decide to order @INC like
>> freebsd ports does so that we don't have to deal with it any more.).
>
> The error says to EITHER deactivate perl5.8 OR use the -f flag ...
> (similar to the xorg problem a couple of days ago) ... which should
> you choose?

In this case, you can google for the port name and deactivate and find
the answer, or realize that in order to actually use that perl module
you'll need to have perl installed and active, so deactivating perl5.8
isn't the right answer.

> How do you know which to choose?

I agree that the port should output a message letting you know what to
do (for now, and longer term, we need to make it so you don't need to
force activate these kinds of perl modules).

--
Daniel J. Luke